I am very happy to share this Chicken recipe, because this is my son’s self-created recipe. He is a police officer, but his passion for cooking takes him often to the kitchen. Whenever he finds time, he tries to make something new. He tries to make dishes in his own way. Once, when I was visiting him, he told me that he would cook a chicken dish for me his own way. I was very eager to see what he was going to cook so I stood next to him, to watch him closely. I saw that he used the minimum amount of spices. But when I tasted the chicken, it was something really delicious, the aroma of freshly ground masala dish took it to the next level.
This recipe is meant specially for those people who think that non-veg food will not taste good till we use lots of masala. I love this recipe. I had no hesitation in telling my son that he had inherited cooking genes from his NANI.
That is why I decided to add his recipe to ‘Nani ki Virasat’. You must try this recipe and send me the feedback.
PREP TIME: 20 mins
MARINATION TIME: 1 hrs
INGREDIENTS FOR DHANIYA MURG:
1. Chicken: 500gms
2. Ginger Julienne: 1 tbsp (from 1 ½ inch ginger)
3. Onion: 4 medium thinly sliced
4. Tomatoes: 3 medium chopped
5. Whole Red chilli: 5-6
6. Green cardamom: 4-5
7. Coriander seeds: 3-4 tsp
8. Zeera (cumin seeds): 1 tsp
9. Black pepper: 1tsp
10. Curd: ¾ cup
11. Salt to taste
12. Sugar: ½ tsp
13. Mustard oil: 2 tbsp
14. Coriander leaves: ½ cup
How to marinate chicken:
1. Wash chicken and keep it in a strainer to drain out all water.
2. Heat a pan. Add coriander seed, black pepper, zeera, green cardamom. Roast till smell comes out from the masalas.
3. Take the pan off to avoid over-roasting.
4. Make a coarse powder of this masala with the help of dry grinder or a mortar and pestle.
5. Now, take out all chicken pieces in a bowl. Mix salt, curd, coarsely ground masala, chopped coriander and oil to make the marination masala.
6. Add 2 tsp ( 20ml) mustard oil in it. Apply the masala on the chicken nicely. Marinate for at least one hour.
How to cook Dhaniya Murg:
1. After one hour, heat oil in kadhai. Add whole dry red chillies (broken into small pieces).
2. Now add sliced onion and salt and sugar. Fry until onion turns pink.
3. When onion is almost done, add ginger julienne also. Mix well.
4. Now add the marinated chicken. Mix well. Cover the kadhai with a lid. Let the chicken cook on a medium flame. Stir occasionally.
5. When chicken is half done, add chopped tomatoes. Mix nicely. Cook it again on slow a flame.
6. When chicken is done, oil separates. Add 1-1 ½ cup water. Mix well. Cover the lid. Cook again for 5-7 minutes.
7. Chicken is ready. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with chapati or rice.