PREP TIME: 45 min
COOKING TIME: 30-40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1hr 25 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR SAAG GOSHT:
1. Mutton : 500 gms
2. Spinach blanched and pureed: 2 medium bunches
3. Ginger garlic paste: 2tbsp
4. Onion slices: 2 big
5. Tomatoes: 2-3 medium
6. Kasoori methi: 1 tbsp
7. Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
8. Red chilli powder: 2-3 tsp
9. Black pepper powder: 2-3 tsp
10. Coriander powder: 3-4 tsp
11. Garam masala: 1-2tsp
12. Curd: ½ bowl
13. Fresh green chillies: 2-3
14. Salt to taste
15. Green cardamom: 2
16. Black cardamom: 2
17. Cloves: 3-4
18. Cinnamon: 2 sticks
19.Oil: 3-4 tbsp
How to make SAAG GOSHT:
1. Wash the mutton and keep it aside.
2. Chop the spinach roughly, discarding the roots. Wash thoroughly.
3. Boil water. Add spinach with the green chillies to the boiling water. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
4. Remove the spinach and wash it with cold water. This will keep the colour of spinach green. Make a paste and keep aside
5. Heat oil in a deep pan/ kadhai till it begins to smoke. Reduce heat, add all the whole garam masala, mix and sauté till you can smell the fragrance. Add sliced onions.
6. Mix and sauté till golden brown.
7. Add mutton and sauté it till it changes colour.
8. Now add some water to the ginger garlic paste.
9. Add one tablespoon ginger garlic water to the mutton. Sauté it again slowly.
10. Add chilli powder and turmeric to the mutton. Mix well. Now, add garlic ginger paste and water slowly. Mix well.
11. Slightly slit the tomatoes in four pieces from the top. Add these tomatoes to the mutton.
12. Add rest of the ginger garlic water mix well. Now add two glasses of water. Mix well and cover the pan/wok with the lid. until mutton the is almost cooked.
13. When the mutton is almost cooked and less water is left then add pepper powder, garam masala, coriander powder, curd, kasoori methi, chopped coriander leaves and big pieces of green chillies. Mix well. Cover until mutton cooked nicely.
14. Now add the spinach paste in it. mix well. cover it for some time. until saag become dry.
15.Now, cook the Saag Gosht till it becomes dry.
16. Now, the Saag Gosht is ready. If you like little gravy, add some water and boil again.
1. Before adding kasoori methi, soak the methi in water for 2-3 minutes. This makes the dust dissolve in water, otherwise, sometimes you may feel the ‘mitti’ in your mouth.
2. Don’t over boil spinach otherwise it would lose its colour.
3. After straining the spinach through hot water, put it under tap water. This would help the spinach to retain its colour.