Updated: Jun 23
PREP TIME: 30 mins
MARINATION TIME: 3-4 hrs or overnight
INGREDIENTS FOR MUTTON CHOPS:
1. Raw mutton chops: 10 pieces
2. Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
3. Onion: 2 medium (thinly sliced)
4. Raw Papaya paste: 1-2 tsp
5. Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
6. Crushed coriander powder: ½ tsp
7. Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
8. Chilli flakes or coarsely ground red chillies: 1 tsp
9. Garam masala: ½ tsp
10. Lemon juice: 1 lemon
11. Curd: 1 tbsp
12. Salt to taste
13. Cooking oil: 2 tbsp
14. Coriander leaves: ½ cup
15. Chopped mint leaves: 1 tbsp
How to prepare marination for mutton chops:
1. Wash the chops and keep them in a strainer to drain all the water from chops.
2. Now take out all mutton pieces into a flat bowl or a in a plate. Now put salt, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chilli powder, chilli flakes, garam masala, oil and lemon juice. Apply all the masala on the chops nicely. Let them marinate for at least one hour.
3. Meanwhile starts making second margination. Cut the onions in thin and even slices. Deep fry them in hot oil.
4. Keep stirring onions so that they will fry evenly. Fry until onions become golden brown.
5. Remove onions from oil and place them on a tissue paper to cool down.
6. Now take the marinated mutton chops in deep bowl.
7. Now, add mint leaves, curd, papaya paste, and add crushed fried onion. Use your palm to crush the fried onions, mix everything nicely by hand, so that chops are nicely coated with the margination.
8. Cover the bowl with cling film and keep it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
How to cook mutton chops:
1. Take out the marinated chops from the fridge. Mix them nicely with your hand.
2. Keep a non-stick pan on medium heat. When the pan is ready, put a little oil and place the chops in the pan.
3. Cover the chops with a lid for 2-3 minutes.(optional)
4. Open the lid, change the sides of chops. Cook the chops till they are soft, while turning regularly in between.
5. Serve them with sliced onion and lemon wedges. If you like the taste, sprinkle chat masala also.
1. How to make raw papaya paste? Take a raw papaya. Remove all seeds. Cut into pieces. Put these pieces in a chutney jar. Add a little water to make a paste. You can keep this paste in the fridge for further use. If you are making this paste for future use then add vinegar instead of water. Paste will stay fresh for a longer period.
2. You can marinate chops for 24-36 hours also but minimum 8-9 hours is necessary.
3. You can crush coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle or grind it coarsely in a dry grinder.
4. How make nice golden fried onions? Cut the onion into very thin and even slices, so that they will are evenly heated.
5. If you don’t have enough time for margination you can marinate everything for 2-3 hours and cook in a pressure cooker. Give one or two whistles. Once the cooker cools down, take out the pieces with masala and roast them in the same way. Personally, I prefer to make mutton chops in the traditional way with 8-9 hours margination.