KAMAL KAKADI (LOTUS STEM/ NADRU) KOFTE
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR KAMAL KAKDI KE KOFTE:
1. Kamal kakdi/ lotus stem: ½ kg
2. Besan/ chickpea flour.
3. Bhuna chana or roasted chickpea Flour: ½ bowl
For filling of koftas: Cashew nuts and almonds: 2 tbsp, Chopped green chillies: 2, Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp chopped
1. Garam masala: ¼ tsp
2. Oil for frying
3. 1/4 teaspoon Salt or to taste
For the gravy:
1. Onion: 2 medium grated
2. Tomatoes: 2 big (paste)
3. Ginger garlic paste: 2 tsp
4. Red Chilli Powder: 1tsp
5. Turmeric: ¼ tsp
6. Coriander powder: 1-2 tsp
7. 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
8. Oil / ghee : 1tbsp
9. Cumin seeds or Jeera: 1 tsp
10. Green cardamom: 2-3
11. Bay leaves: 2
12. 1 teaspoon kasuri methi(optional)
13. 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1. Fresh Coriander Leaves- 1 tablespoon
2. Fresh Cream or malai: 1tbs
HOW TO COOK KAMAL KAKDI(LOTUS STEM) KE KOFTE:
1. Buy fresh and tender lotus stems, should be pinkish white in colour.
2. Wash and scrape off the skin of lotus stem and cut the ends. Wash again after cutting the sides.3
3. Cut into small pieces and wash it again, properly, in running water. Sometimes you will find some soil inside the stem also. 04
4. Now, put these stems in a cooker. Add ½ cup water and salt. Give 2 whistles.
5. Open the cooker, after it cools down. Strain the water from lotus stems. Put it in a mixi and make paste.
6. Put the roasted channa in a dry grinder and make a powder.
7. Add red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the channa flour,.05
8. Mix everything with your hands so that it mixes nicely. Check for lumps in the batter.
9. Take all the chopped nuts, green chillies, coriander leaves and salt together in a bowl.
10. Make small lemon-sized balls, flatten on your palm and fill 1/4th teaspoon chopped nuts mix. Seal properly from all sides and keep aside.
11. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the koftas three or four at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown in colour.
1. Grate onions, grind tomatoes, make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies in a blender. keep them separately. 1
2. Heat ghee or oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves and green cardamom for a few seconds till they sputter. Add grated onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
3. Add grated onion. Sauté it again for some times.
4. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté it again for some time.
5. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Roast the masala for some time, till oil starts separating from the masala.
6. Now add tomato puree, and let it reduce. Roast the masala on medium flame till you see ghee separating from the masala.
7. Now take beat the malai or fresh cream. whisk it with a whisker.
8. Add this malai or cream in the masala. mix well.
9. Add, kasuri methi(optional), garam masala. Mix well.
10. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil.
11. Add koftas. Boil for 2-3 minutes or till the koftas have absorbed some of the gravy.13
12. Keep the flame on low and cover with a lid for 5 minutes. 1
413. Arrange the koftas in bowl or a plate and pour the hot creamy gravy over the koftas.16
14. Garnish with cream and coriander leaves.17
15. Serve hot with rice, roti or parantha.