HARE CHANE KI BURFI
Updated: Jan 28
My husband often pined for the hare chane ki barfi, his mother used to make in the winters, when he was a child. As the weather turned cold, he would always tell us how his mother would make the barfi as soon as hare chane became available in the market. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law had passed away soon after my marriage, so I could not learn the recipe from her. I had never tasted the barfi or even heard about it, but to fulfil my husband’s craving, I took the recipe from my sister-in-law.
With great effort, I made the hare chane ki barfi hoping that the barfi was as tasty as my mother-in-law would have made it. I offered the first piece to the deity, in memory of my mother-in-law. After that, nervously, I gave a piece of barfi to my husband, asking him to taste it. I looked intently at his face while he was having a bite. I was overjoyed when he said: “It has the same taste and appearance as my mother’s hare chane ki barfi.”
So, please try this mother’s recipe resurrected for her son by a dutiful wife. I am sure, you will like it.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR HARE CHANE KI BARFI:
1. Hare chane (Green gram) – 150 gm
2. Mava or khoya – 150 gm
3. Sugar powder – 150 gm
4. Desi ghee – 2-3 tbsp
5. Chopped cashew nuts – 5-6
6. Chopped almonds – 6-7
7. Pista (Pistachio) – 7-8
8. Cardamom powder- 1 tsp full
HOW TO MAKE HARE CHANE KI BARFI:
1. First off all, wash the hare chane well.
2. Now put them in a grinder. Grind them to a paste, but not too fine. Some like it coarse, others not so coarse.
3. Take a plate or tray. Apply some ghee on it a with brush. Keep this tray aside.
4. Take a non-stick pan. Heat 1 tbsp ghee and add chana paste.
5. Roast the chana paste for a minute on a high flame, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat and roast again for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add rest of the ghee and roast again till the colour begins to change slightly and the raw smell is gone. This will take between 7 to 10 minutes.
7. Add mava or khoya in it. Mix well. Again roast for 7-8 minutes on low heat until the mava is roasted properly.
8. Now add sugar powder and cardamom powder. Roast it properly again for 5-7 minutes, till everything is mixed properly.
9. Now, add some chopped nuts. Keep some nuts aside for garnishing.
10. Switch off the gas. Transfer the paste to a greased dish. Spread the paste into a thick layer for burfi.
11. Spread chopped nuts on the paste. Keep aside for some time till it cools.
12. When the paste cools down properly, cut it in your desired shape and size, for barfi.
13. Now the hare chane ki burfi is ready to be served.