DUM ALOO (EASY & SIMPLE) (without onion & garlic)
Updated: Feb 6
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 50- 60 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR DUM ALOO:
1. Baby potatoes – 500 gm(approx 20-21)
2. Yogurt/curd – 1/4 cup beaten
3. Green Chillies – 2-3
4. Ginger : 1 inch
5. tomatoes: 1 large
6. Coriander leaves – 2 tsp (chopped)
7. Salt to taste
8. Ghee – 1 tbsp
9. Cumin seeds/zeera – ¾ tsp
10. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
11. Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
12. Coriander powder – 1tsp
13. Dry kasoori methi – 1tsp
14. Bay leaves/tej patta-2
15. Cloves – 3-4
16. Green Cardamom - 2
17. Garam masala – ½ tsp
18. Oil for frying
HOW TO MAKE DUM ALOO MASALA:
1. Chop tomatoes, green chillies, ginger. Put them in mixer jar.
2. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
3. Make a paste of the contents of the jar. Keep the paste aside.
HOW TO MAKE DUM ALOO:
1. Firstly, pressure cook baby potatoes with 2 cups of water and salt. Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles only.
2. Once pressure releases, allow the potatoes to cool. Then, peel off the skin from the potatoes.
3. Prick the potatoes all over with fork/tooth pick. Do it gently don’t break the potatoes.
4. Take ¼ bowl water and add 1 tsp salt in it. Keep this aside.
5. Take oil in frying pan. Add all the potatoes, one by one, for frying.
6. Now add the salt and water mixture (see 3, above). Do it 2-3 times (don’t worry it will not come out).
7. While frying, turn over the potatoes with a slotted spoon, till one side is golden brown.
8. Remove potatoes from oil when they turn golden and crispy. Keep aside.
9. Lower the flame. Remove the extra oil, keeping just 1tbsp oil in the pan. Let the oil temperature come down. Add 1 tbsp ghee also add zeera, cloves, cardamom in the same ghee.
10. Stir whole garam masala for a minute. Now, add masala paste. Roast.
11. Once masala starts separating from oil, add beaten curd. Roast it again. When you add curd, mix it continuously, otherwise curd will spilt (phat jayega)
12. Add powdered kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Mix well.
13. Now, add fried potatoes. Roast them well for some time.
14. Now, add one or two cups of water to the potatoes and boil on a low flame. Cover the pan with lid. now cook till water reduces and gravy becomes thick.
15. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Now your Dum aloo is ready to serve. serve it with poori, parantha or lachha parantha.
Best part of this recipe is that you can make this Dum aloo for fasting days also.
if you are afraid of putting salt water while frying, then, you can easily avoid it. actually the logic behind this is, the technique helps flavours and salt to penetrate inside the potatoes.