BAINGAN KA BHARTA
Updated: Jun 23
Baingan ka bharta is a very common dish in North India, with every housewife making it in her kitchen. But my bharta, made from my mother’s recipe is different from others. I add boiled potato which gives the bharta a nice creamy texture, and a nice feel to the palate. I have tasted many kinds of baingan ka bharta, but for me, bharta made by my mother’s recipe is the best.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR BAINGAN BHARTA:
1. Large Baingan – 2
2. Onion – 2 of medium size
3. Ginger Garlic paste: 2 tsp
4. Boiled potatoes- 2 of medium size
5. Green chilli – 1
6. Fresh Boiled peas-1/2 bowl (optional)
7. Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
8. Tomatoes – 2 chopped
9. Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
10. Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Chopped coriander- for garnishing
METHOD OF MAKING BAINGAN BHARTA:
1. Roast brinjals on direct flame for 10-12 minutes turning occasionally, till the brinjal turns soft and black.
2. Peel the skin of the brinjals.
3. Slit the brinjal down the middle. Open it, and check properly if it has any maggots. Mash the brinjal with a fork. Keep aside.
4. Break boiled potatoes with your hand. Keep aside.
5. Boil green peas. Keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds to it. When seeds crackle, add the chopped onion, sauté it on a low flame for 1-2 minute.
7. Add ginger garlic paste, and green chillies. Sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
8. Add chopped tomatoes.Stir occasionally.
9. Add salt. Stir occasionally.
10. Add chilli powder. Stir occasionally.
11 Mix well. cover with the lid for 2-3minutes.
12. When tomatoes are cooked properly, add potatoes and green peas.
13 Mix them nicely.
14. Now add roasted and mashed brinjals.
15. Cook baingan bharta for 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
16. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve baingan bharta with tandori roti, naan, parantha.
1. Always buy brinjals very carefully. Check that there is no crack or hole in the skin. Otherwise, baingans may be infested with insects.
2. The brinjal that is used to make bharta should be large, and dark in colour. Try to buy brinjals which have less seeds. Try to get an eggplant which is large and has a smooth skin. The eggplant should be light in your hand. If the brinjal is light in weight, it would have fewer seeds as compared to a heavy brinjal, which may spoil the taste of the bharta.