SOOKHI URAD DAL (UP Style)
I have posted this recipe on the request of one of my followers. Sookhi urad dal is common in several States. I am sharing the recipe of the dal, as it is made in the homes of kayasthas in UP, on special occasions.
Sookhi urad dal roti tastes best with pani ki roti (people from UP are familiar with this roti) or makka ki roti but it tastes well with normal roti also. Sharmila ji, this recipe is specially for you. I hope this dish will remind you of the taste of your mother's dal.
PREP TIME: 2 HRS
COOKING TIME: 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 20 MINS
SERVES: 2-3 persons
INGREDENTS FOR SOOKHI UDAD KI DAL:
1. Dhuli urad dal (Husked and split black gram) -1 cup
2. Asafoetida (heeng) – ¼ tsp
3. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
4. Whole red chillies - 3-4
5. Cumin seeds - 1tsp
6. Red chilli powder - 1tsp
7. Ghee – 1-2 tbsp
8. Finely sliced onion – 1 big
9. Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
10. Salt to taste
11. Water – 2 cups
HOW TO MAKE SOOKHI URAD DAL:
1. Rinse 1 cup urad dal a few times in fresh water. Soak urad dal in sufficient water for 2-3 hours.
2. After 2 hours remove all the water from dal. Wash it with fresh water 2-3 again.
3. Now take a heavy bottom vessel. Heat 1 tsp ghee in this vessel.
4. Add asafoetida (hing) to the ghee.
5. Now add urad dal and 2 cups of water ( double the amount of your dal).
6. Add turmeric to it. Mix well.
7. Now allow urad dal to boil. When the dal starts boiling some foam will settle on top.
8. Remove the foam.
9. Add some salt. Keep flame on medium. Now cook the dal in an open vessel for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
10. Keep checking the dal. When the dal is half done, cover the vessel with a lid for 5- 7minutes.
11. Remove the lid and check if the dal is done. The urad dal should be cooked well but should not be sticky.
12. Press one or two splits of dal between your finger and thumb. You will easily know whether the dal is done or not
13. If the urad dal is not cooked, and there is no water then add some more water and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
14. Now remove the dal to a serving dish.
15. For tadka, heat rest of the ghee in a pan.
16. Add zeera to the ghee, when the zeera starts crackling add the onion to it.
17. Sauté, until it becomes brown.
18. Add whole chilli and red chilli powder to the fried onion.
17. Spread this tadka all over the dal.
18. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top,
19. Dal is ready to be served with chapatti, tandoori roti or naan.
1. Soaking urad dal is very important for this recipe. Otherwise, if not soaked properly, urad dal can get mushy and pasty, while cooking.
2. Use open vessel to cook the dal otherwise sometimes dal may get overcooked and become mushy.
3. Removing the foam that settles on top of dal is very important because the foam is a kind of impurity. If you do not remove the foam, it will give a slightly bitter taste to dal.