PREP TIME: 15 min
COOKING TIME: 1 hrs
TOTAL TIME: 1 hrs 15 min
COURSE: MAIN COURSE
SERVES: 3 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR MUTTON CURRY:
1. Mutton ( chop, nalli, gol boti) -1/2 kg
2. Onion – 1 big or 2 small
3. Ginger, Garlic paste – 2tbsp
4. Onion – 2 large
5. Curd – 2-3 tbsp
6. Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
7. Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
8. Turmeric – ½ tsp
9. Zeera powder – ½ tsp
10. Garam masala – ½ tsp
11. Salt – According to taste
12. Cloves – 4-5
13. Black pepper -4-5
14. Big cardamom -2
15. Green cardamom -2-3
16. Nutmeg – 1 small piece
17. Javitri – 2-3 strand
18. Cinnamon – 1 stick small
19. Bay leaf – 1
20. Ghee + oil – 2-3 tbsp
21. Kevda essence
HOW TO MAKE MUTTON CURRY:
1. Wash the mutton and remove all excess fat.
2. Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker or deep skillet.
3. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
3. Now, add mutton.
4. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until its colour changes.
5. Add all the ground powder masalas. Sauté on low flame.
6. Meanwhile, put all khada masala ingredients (cloves, black pepper, big cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon, nut meg, javitri) in a mortar and pestle. Make a coarse powder. Add this powder and bay leaf to the mutton. Mix well.
7. Add yoghurt to the mutton and cook for 5 minutes or until all water dries up.
8. Now sauté well till the mutton is roasted and oil separates from the mutton.
9. Meanwhile, fry the sliced onion in a separate pan till it becomes golden brown. Make a paste of this fried onion.
10. Avoid adding water while making the onion paste. If needed, put only one table spoon of water in it.
11. Add onion paste and roast it again. When the mutton sheds all its oil and you feel that the mutton is well roasted, add ½ tsp of kewda water to the mutton. Mix well.
12. Now add 1 ½ glass of water. Cover the lid of the cooker. Give 2-3 whistles. Now lower the flame for 2-3 minutes.
13. Open the lid when cooker cools down.
14. Add little more water, if you are making mutton in a pan or skillet. In this case, cover the lid and cook the mutton on a low flame for at least for 30-40minutes.
15. Mutton is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander.
16. Serve with naan or roti.
NOTES: You can make chicken in the same way.