KABULI KHICHADI( keema, chana dal khichadi)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR KABULI KHICHADI:
1. Keema – ½ kg
2. Rice – 2 cups around 1/2 kg
3. Chana dal – 1bowl (soaked)
4. Turmeric – ½ tsp
5. Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
6. Green chillies – 5-6
7. Onion – 2 medium
8. Black pepper 5-6
9. Zeera – 2 ½ tsp
10. Ginger paste – 2tsp
11. Ginger slice – 1tbsp
12. Garlic paste – 2tsp
13. Salt to taste
14. Ghee + oil – 1-1 tsp
1. Soak chana dal and rice for 1 to 2 hours. Wash 1/2kg keema and keep aside.
2. Heat ghee and oil in the pressure cooker. Add black pepper, zeera and sliced ginger. Sauté it for a minute.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it.
4. Add keema to the paste. Fry the keema for 5 to 7 minutes until the keema is dry.
5. Now add sliced onion, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt.
6. Now fry the keema for at least 15 minutes. Add water periodically while frying.
7. When the keema is roasted properly, add soaked chana dal. Roast this for another 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Now add rice and water to it. If you are cooking kichadi in a pressure cooker, add the same amount of water as rice + ½ bowl more of water.
9. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker. Giver 2 or 3 whistles. Slow down the flame for 5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
10. Now open the lid only when the pressure has settled down.
11. Now serve hot with raita and lacchha pyaz.
1. If you are making khichadi in a cooker in that case take the same amount of water as rice. Or if you are making khichadi in a open pan like sauce pan (tapeli) then you should take double amount of water to get best results.