Fish Curry in UP style
I am posting this recipe on the request of one of my blog followers Ms. Priya.
My mother cooked very tasty fish dishes. But somehow I never relished fish in my childhood, I didn’t like the taste particularly and I could not deal with too many bones. Whenever she cooked fish, my Mom had to feed me with her hands. So that may be I will start liking the taste of it.
After my marriage, I would prepare fish for my children but would not eat it myself. Once, I went to a friend’s place for lunch with my father. Knowing that my father liked fish very much, my friend who was from Eastern UP, had prepared fish for my father. She insisted that I should also try her special dish. Reluctantly, I picked up a small piece but I liked the taste immensely when I took a small bite. I have started eating fish from that day.
I tried my friend’s dish for my children, who liked it very much. In fact, everyone who had this dish has liked it. Today, I have shared this recipe with you. I am sure you would love it.
PREP TIME: 15-20 min
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR FISH CURRY:
1. Rohu/Hilsa fish: 500 gms
2. Mustard seeds- 1 or 1 ½ tbsp
3. Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
4. Red chilli powder: 1 ½ tsp
5. Coriander powder: 2 tsp
6. Garlic pod: 1 big
7. Onion – 1 small (optional)
8. Tomatoes – 3 big
9. Salt to taste
10. Coriander leaves for garnish
11. Mustard oil – 3-4 tbsp
How to make fish curry:
1. Keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Take fish pieces. Wash them well.
3. Apply some turmeric powder and salt to fish and wash again (this will remove the fishy smell).
4. Except tomatoes, grind all the masala together. Keep aside.
5. Grind tomatoes separately and make a paste.
6. Heat oil in kadhai.
7. Add fish and fry a little from both the sides. Take out these fried pieces of fish and keep aside.
8. Now fry the masala in the same kadhai (After frying the fish if less oil is left for the masala, add some more oil).
9. Now add tomato paste. Fry it until oil will separate from the masala.
10. Add fried fish pieces to the masala.
11. Fry the fish and masala until oil will separate.
12. Add about one cup of water. boil it. When it will start boiling and big pieces of chop tomatoes. Now simmer till the fish is cooked.
13. Cover it. Cook it for around 10 minutes. Fish cooks very fast. If you want a thin curry, you can add some more water.
14. Your fish curry is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.
15. Serve hot with rice.