Bharwan Baigan (Stuffed Aubergine)
PREP TIME: 15minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
SERVES: 4 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR BHARWAN BAIGAN:
1. Long baigan – 3-4
2. Onion – 2 medium
3. Garlic: 3-4 cloves
4. Coriander powder- 1tbsp
5. Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
6. Turmeric – ½ tsp
7. Achar masala (optional) – 1tsp
8. Amchoor powder- 1 tsp
9. Methi seeds – ½ tsp
10. Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
11. Salt to taste
Preparation of Baigan for stuffing:
1. Wash and wipe baigan with a clean cloth.
2. Slit length wise from the base towards the stalk.
3. Dip the baigan in water, otherwise, they will turn black. Keep aside.
Preparation for making masala for stuffing:
1. Grate the onions and crush the garlic.
2. Take a kadhai. Put 1 tbsp oil. Heat.
3. When oil becomes hot add methi seeds. When the seeds turn slightly brown add grated onion. Fry till onions become golden brown.
4. Now add crushed garlic. Fry a little.
5. Add all dry masala, except amchoor. Bhuno it until the oil separates from the masala.
6. Now add amchoor powder.
7. Remove this masala from kadhai.
Method of making Bharwan Baigan:
1. Remove all baigans from the water. Keep them on a kitchen towel. Remove the extra water.
2. Now take one baigan. Open the slit and stuff the stuffing masala in it with a spoon. You can stuff the masala with your fingers also.
3. Stuff all baigans in the same way. keep left over masala separate. which you will add in the end.
4. Cut all baigan into half. It’s good for cooking as well as for serving. If you don’t want to cut baigans into half, you can take full baigans also.
5. Heat 1 tbsp mustard oil in the same kadhai. Add stuffed baigan to the oil in the kadhai.
6.Turn the baigan around a few times on high heat.
7. Reduce the heat, cover and cook till tender, stirring a few times.
8. Open lid and check that the baigans are done.
9. Serve hot with paranthas.
1. Always buy baigan very carefully because sometimes, baigans may be infested with insects.
2. You can stuff baigan with achar masala also. To prepare achar masala, take fennel seeds, rai, methi seeds, in equal quantity. Roast them slightly. Make a coarse powder. Keep it an air tight box. In addition to baingans, you can use this masala for stuffed karela and stuffed bhindi also. Sometimes, I put this masala in sookhe achari aloo.