Aloo Mangori ki Tahiri
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
Rice - 2 cup
Potatoes - 150 grams (2 medium size)( cut into big pieces)
Moong daal mangodi -1 cup
Onion – 2 big ( sliced)
Garlic - 5 to 6 cloves(kali) (chopped)
Ginger -1 ½ inch ( chopped or sliced)
4 cups of water (if you are making in open vessel) otherwise in pressure cooker take 2 cups of water
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Black pepper whole – 5-6
Cloves – 4-5
Big cardamom -2
Bay leaves (tej patta) -2
Red Chilli powder - ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Garam Masala Powder- ½ tsp
Ghee / oil – 2 tbsp
1. Wash and soak rice in enough water for 20 minutes.
2. Peel and chop potatoes in medium size pieces.
3. Slice the onions, and chop the ginger and garlic. Keep everything aside.
4. Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
5. Add mangodi in it. Fry them untill they become golden brown.
6. Remove and keep them separated.
7. Add 1tbsp sliced onion in the ghee and fry it until this will become golden brown.
8. Remove this fried onion from the ghee. And keep aside for garnishing.
9. Add cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, black pepper in the remaining ghee in the vessel. If you feel ghee is little less in the pan you can add 1tsp ghee in it.
10. Now add sliced onion, chopped garlic and ginger. Fry them until they turned golden brown.
11. Now add potato, mangodi and all the spices.
12. Stir it nicely.
13. Drain the water from the soaked rice, and add it to the cooker.
14. Stir for a minute and add water and mix gently.
15. Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles (or till done)
16. Open the cooker only when cooled down completely.
17. Serve hot with sprinkled fried onion and a tsp of ghee on top (optional). It goes well with raita and papad.
Always shallow fry the mangodis before putting it with rice.
Try to use basmati rice for pulav or tahiri. This give a very nice flavour or smell to pulav.
Always soak rice at least ½ n hr. this will rice long.