SOOKHI ARBI (COLOCASIA ROOTS)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
SERVES: 2-3 persons
INGREDIENTS FOR SOOKHI ARBI:
1. Arbi (Colocasia) - 250 gm
2. Ajwain (carom seeds)-1 tsp
3. Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
4. Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
5. Coriander powder: 1 tsp
6. Garam masala- ¼ tsp
7. Mango powder-1 tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Oil – for frying
HOW TO MAKE SOOKHI ARBI:
1. Wash the arbi. Put the arbi in a pressure cooker. Add water. Put the pressure cooker on a high flame till you get 1 or 2 whistles. Cook for 1 more minute on the lowest heat setting.
2. Open the pressure cooker after the pressure goes down. Take out the arbi from the cooker.
3. Peel the arbi.
4. Lightly press the arbi between your palm. Make them a little flat.
5. If you feel that the arbis are a little large then cut them into half.
6. Shallow or deep fry arbi. Generally, I prefer shallow frying.
7. Turn the arbi in the oil when it is golden brown in colour. Turn carefully.
8. Fry the arbi till they become golden brown on both sides. Take care not to burn the arbi.
9. Take a little oil in a pan. Add ajwain and fry for a minute.
10. Keep the flame at the lowest. Add turmeric powder.
11. Add all the fried arbi to it. Stir for a while.
12. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala. Toss them well.
13. Add amchur powder. Mix well.
14. Garnish with mint / coriander leaves.
15. Serve sookhi arbi hot with chapatti or parantha.
16. Sometimes, I serve sookhi arbi as a snack also.
1. Never over cook the arbis. Otherwise the arbi will become very sticky lose their taste.
2. Turn the arbi very carefully. Sometime arbi break when you turn them. Broken arbi will spoil the oil and give a bitter taste.
3. Turn only when arbi become golden brown from one side.
4. You can eat arbi when you are on fast but don’t put dhaniya powder then and instead of normal salt use white or black rock salt.