Chaunki Hari Matar
Fresh green peas are used in many dishes during winter, particularly in North India. Chaunki matar is one of the many snacks prepared from green peas. I know winter is almost over but Chaunki matar is worth trying at least once.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Serves: 4 persons
Ingredients for Chaunki Hari Matar
Green peas - 1 kg
Green chillies – 2
Ginger – 1 inch
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard oil – 1 tsp
Lemon – ½
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1. Take a wok. Add 1tsp mustard oil. Heat it.
2. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. When cumin seeds starts crackling, add sliced ginger and green chillies. Stir for a few seconds.
3. Now add green peas and salt. Stir it and then cover it. Simmer the flame.
4. Cook it for 5 minutes. Stir it again. Cover it again. Cook another 5 minutes.
5. Now open the lid and cook till peas are tender. After 5 minutes take one pea and press it with your finger to check whether they are done or not.
6. Most of the time fresh peas leave lots of water. When you feel peas are done but some water is left in the bottom increase the flame and dry the water.
7. In the end, squeeze a lemon on the peas and add chopped coriander leaves.
8. Mix well and serve hot.